Remove Children Remove Community Remove Public Remove Teen
article thumbnail

“Black & Proud”

M+R

It’s a spin on James Brown’s 1968 hit, “Say It Loud (I’m Black and I’m Proud),” which became an unofficial anthem of the Civil Rights movement; but, in its current context, is focused on the pride associated with also identifying as a member of the LGBTQIA community.

Florida 88
article thumbnail

Breaking the Cycle & Starting the Mental Health Conversation

Saleforce Nonprofit

Thanks to global entertainers like Lady Gaga and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, and world-class athletes like Kevin Love and Simone Biles, there’s already a shift toward candid public conversations, making mental health far less stigmatized than ever. Less than half of all Americans with a mental disorder actually get the treatment they need.

professionals

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Why Now is the Time for Boys & Girls Clubs of America to Invest in Digital

Saleforce Nonprofit

For more than a century, Boys & Girls Clubs around the country opened their doors each day to millions of kids and teens, literally and symbolically. Clubs offered, for many, the only safe places in their communities. But true to its 160-year legacy, Clubs remained a safe haven for local communities. Opening doors.

America 112
article thumbnail

Pottsboro Area Library: The Winner of TechSoup’s February Success Story Digital Connector Challenge

Tech Soup

Forty-two percent of Pottsboro’s school children are eligible for the National School Lunch Program. Here’s Dianne’s winning submission in its entirety: “The Pottsboro Library has made bridging the digital divide for teens a priority. Now the teens are branching out to other area nonprofits.

Library 54
article thumbnail

Introducing Abbott Square Part 3: Community Participation Builds a Community Plaza

Museum 2.0

This is the second installation in a series of posts on the Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History (MAH)'s development of Abbott Square , a new creative community plaza in downtown Santa Cruz. When we first started talking about redeveloping Abbott Square as a community plaza for downtown Santa Cruz, we ran into some basic questions.

article thumbnail

Ten Things Nonprofits May Not Know About MySpace [But I Wish They Did]

Nonprofit Tech for Good

When I first started myspace.com/nonprofitorganizations almost 4 years ago I had no idea that it would evolve to become as large as it has, or that the brand/community/concept would spread to Facebook , then YouTube , and now Twitter. I was able then to tap into that community when I expanded into Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.

Myspace 190
article thumbnail

MathAndCoding Turns the Library into a Coding Classroom (Part 2)

Tech Soup

In part 1 of this series, we introduced MathAndCoding , a nonprofit that offers teen-led programming classes for children in public libraries in the Silicon Valley area. Bricker says that there is also another benefit, perhaps an unplanned one, to having teen volunteers.

Library 36