article thumbnail

A $500 Million Pledge to Support Local News

Non Profit Quarterly

Image credit: Jon Tyson on Unsplash The decades-long decimation of local news—and the dangers that the trend poses for public oversight, an informed citizenry, and democracy itself—remains very much underway. Since 2005, some 2,200 local newspapers have closed, according to a press release by the MacArthur Foundation.

Local 99
article thumbnail

Case Study in Local: Oakland Local

Amy Sample Ward

Oakland Local is launching today! Oakland Local is a news & community site for Oakland, CA, USA, focusing on social justice issues including climate change, air quality, food access, arts as activists, and identity, race & ethnicity. About Oakland Local. Getting Local. What do you think? What do you think?

Oakland 100
professionals

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Practical, Actionable SEO Tips for Nonprofits

Nonprofit Tech for Good

This is definitely a factor and something to consider when you use AI to write for you. So, if your nonprofit works in environmental conservation, use a keyword research tool to identify common questions like “how to support local environmental initiatives.” You’ve heard this one a million times about social media, too!)

Action 267
article thumbnail

Online Community Organizing: Start small, think big!

Amy Sample Ward

NetSquared’s February series exploring “Online Community Organizing” includes three different interviews; I’m really excited to participate! I work in and support nonprofit organizations, and my focus on communities isn’t to suggest that organizations are “bad” or aren’t making a difference.

Community 179
article thumbnail

[ASK AN EXPERT] How To Accept Real Estate Gifts If You’ve Never Done So Before

Bloomerang

Gifts of real estate can be a definite win/win, with your charity reaping financial rewards and the donor accomplishing personal, financial, and tax-planning objectives. Options include: Find a local attorney experienced in nonprofit charitable gift planning. Maybe even someone local about who you were unaware!

Gift 79
article thumbnail

In Defense of Community Managers

Amy Sample Ward

There are definitely times when community building and even campaigning or organizing feels just like that! I wanted to share the short “defense&# of Community Managers that I wrote to get your feedback as well as to gather your ideas, examples and so on of why Community Managers are important to our work!

Community 198
article thumbnail

From Cubicle to Community: How to Empower Workplace Giving

Nonprofits Source

Company leaders, on the other hand, know the value of retaining employees, boosting their company’s reputation, and impacting their community. Beyond impacting your community and employees, workplace giving can also boost your company’s brand! For example, did your community recently experience a natural disaster?