article thumbnail

Participatory Grantmaking: I’m in! Now what?

sgEngage

You’ve read about participatory grantmaking—and maybe even heard about other organizations using this model to distribute control of their funding strategy and grants decisions to the communities they serve. But it is a different way of thinking for most grantmakers, so it can be difficult to know where to start. Is this you?

article thumbnail

An Evolution of Evaluation in Grantmaking With a Participatory Lens

sgEngage

We all want to know whether our work makes a difference. The data collected is usually owned by the grantmaker, not questioned, and not shared back with the grantee or any larger community. For issues with this, check out Vu Le’s 2015 post “ Weaponized data: How the obsession with data has been hurting marginalized communities.”

professionals

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Great Participatory Processes are Open, Discoverable, and Unequal

Museum 2.0

A few years and a few hundred open mics into that experience, it became obvious that some venues fostered amazing poetry communities, others, not so much. The whole experience welcomed newcomers while helping them understand what "value" constituted in that community. One of my favorite open mics was at the Cantab in Cambridge, MA.

article thumbnail

What I Learned from Beck (the rock star) about Participatory Arts

Museum 2.0

There are many artistic projects that offer a template for participation, whether a printed play, an orchestral score, or a visual artwork that involves an instructional set (from community murals to Sol LeWitt). One of the things I always focus on in participatory exhibit design is ensuring that everyone has the same tools to work with.

article thumbnail

Community-Driven Social Impact: Presentation & Workshop at Amplified Leicester

Amy Sample Ward

This morning I had the great pleasure and honor to present at Amplified Leicester about Community-Driven Social Impact, and run a short strategy-building workshop. They are also hoping to learn from and document their experiences to share as a model with the larger global community looking to do something similar. Presentation.

Impact 123
article thumbnail

How can nonprofit organizations measure community engagement?

ASU Lodestar Center

Understanding the benefits of building social capital may be effective in creating a participatory culture. Existing research identifies gaps in the ways in which community engagement is measured. Nonprofit organizations can benefit from this working model as it can be a useful tool in achieving a participatory culture.

Measure 40
article thumbnail

Getting in on the Act: New Report on Participatory Arts Engagement

Museum 2.0

Last month, the Irvine Foundation put out a new report, Getting In On the Act , about participatory arts practice and new frameworks for audience engagement. I've often been asked about examples of participatory practice in theater, dance, and classical music, and this report is a great starting point.