article thumbnail

Are Memes Really Just Slacktivism?

Care2

New memes get started everyday. Some stick and go “viral” while others just get shared with a small community of friends, and some go nowhere. Remember the FB meme challenge that asked women to post what color bra they were wearing that day? “We are playing a game…… silly, but fun!

Meme 77
article thumbnail

New on SSIR: You can has memesez?

Amy Sample Ward

That song, “Call Me Maybe” by Carly Rae Jepsen, quickly also became the soundtrack to an Internet meme —that is, an idea that spreads online (“ I Can Has Cheezburger? Many more groups joined in on the fun, recording videos and posting to YouTube. Why meme at all? It’s fun, for one. Stick to your voice.

Meme 140
professionals

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Tech Across Your Org: Risks and Rewards of Combining Volunteers and Social Media

NTEN

Social Media is an important tool for engaging with your community -- but what are the risks and rewards of working with volunteers to implement your social media strategies? It’s not a fancy new tool or a fun new hashtag sweeping the meme-sphere. It’s not a fancy new tool or a fun new hashtag sweeping the meme-sphere.

article thumbnail

Slacktivism: Can Cartoons Raise Awareness or Just Make Us Feel Good?

NetWits

Whether it started on accident, was part of a specific campaign, or originated in Greece , this meme seemed to really have legs! In the last 24 hours, I have seen countless blog posts, discussions, and news articles all mocking this current meme for doing nothing to actually prevent child abuse.

Awareness 199
article thumbnail

Virtual Meeting Check-Ins & Icebreakers During A Pandemic

Beth's Blog: How Nonprofits Can Use Social Media

How did a friend and tend to someone in my neighborhood, family, or community? What is the most humorous COVID meme you saw in the last week that made you laugh? A fun and playful icebreaker that can also be done on zoom is called “ Sketch Your Neighbor.” It is a lot of fun! How am I getting outside today?

Virtual 130
article thumbnail

[Book Interview] Nonprofit Example of Social Media Excellence: The Humane Society of the United States

Nonprofit Tech for Good

We still use Twitter a bit to talk about our programs, we participate and create our own memes like “ #felinefriday ”, but we focus on listening and responding to what people are already talking about. Get on the networks and become a contributing part of the community. People spend so much time on Facebook because it’s FUN.

article thumbnail

Participatory Campaigns: The Hold A Sign Meme

Beth's Blog: How Nonprofits Can Use Social Media

advocacy and leveraging the social community there: Starbucks Campaign. it takes advantage of the established Flickr community???s This is a fun meme for user=generated content -- Take a photo of yourself with sign or message related to our campaign or cause. She points out why she likes the campaign: 1 ???

Meme 50