article thumbnail

How Wikipedia Faces Emerging Knowledge with Collective Capital

Non Profit Quarterly

Health crises such as the recent outbreak of coronavirus add a heightened level of urgency to the work that Wikipedia does on a daily basis, and so Marketplace ’s Molly Wood sat down with Katherine Maher, chief executive director of the Wikimedia Foundation , to talk about the challenges of misinformation and the future.

article thumbnail

Open Source Feminism: An Intervention with Wikipedia

NTEN

Open source is meant to be free and equal, but then why do men continue to dominate open source sites like Wikipedia? In February 2014, groups of artists and tech-savvy folks staged what called they called a “feminist intervention” to Wikipedia. The idea that technology is not neutral is a heavy one.

professionals

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Trending Sources

article thumbnail

What’s in My Inbox | Thanking Your Monthly Donors

Pamela Grow

Here’s an example of monthly donor stewardship from Wikipedia that I liked. Roughly a year ago, I became a monthly donor to Wikipedia, following an email I described as “the perfect email ask” followed by a well-crafted monthly giving appeal.

Donor 52
article thumbnail

Join a Nonprofit Tech User Group This August

Tech Soup

We’ll be hosting social media surgeries for local nonprofits and community activists. Social media surgeries are informal drop-in sessions where anyone from the voluntary and community sector can come and pick the brains of our ‘surgeons’ (helpful volunteers who understand the world of Twitter, Facebook, and the rest).

Group 54
article thumbnail

Is Wikipedia Loves Art Getting "Better"?

Museum 2.0

But next month, Britain Loves Wikipedia will commence--the third instance of a strange and fascinating collaborative project between museums and the Wikipedia community (Wikimedians). Wikipedia Loves Art, Take One The first version of Wikipedia Loves Art first took place in February 2009.

article thumbnail

An Evolution of Evaluation in Grantmaking With a Participatory Lens

sgEngage

The data collected is usually owned by the grantmaker, not questioned, and not shared back with the grantee or any larger community. For issues with this, check out Vu Le’s 2015 post “ Weaponized data: How the obsession with data has been hurting marginalized communities.” Consider: Who defines objectives and “success”?

article thumbnail

22 Fun, Useful, and Totally Random Resources for Nonprofits

Nonprofit Tech for Good

Part-website, part-smartphone app, this tool enables free group texting between small groups of people. You can either manage your group online or on your mobile phone. Groups currently are maxed at 25 members, but in time will likely grow and perhaps even enable one-to-many group texting for free or at a very low-cost.

Fun 230