article thumbnail

Case Study in Local: Oakland Local

Amy Sample Ward

Oakland Local is launching today! Oakland Local is a news & community site for Oakland, CA, USA, focusing on social justice issues including climate change, air quality, food access, arts as activists, and identity, race & ethnicity. About Oakland Local. Getting Local.

Oakland 100
article thumbnail

Tell Your Community's Story with NetSquared

Tech Soup

Or if face-to-face is more your style, join your local NetSquared group — NetSquared groups are holding digital storytelling events all month. If you’re holding monthly events that are gathering the #nptech community, let me know , and I’ll include you in the next community calendar! Looking for inspiration?

professionals

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Save Your Libraries: They're Good for the Economy

Have Fun - Do Good

Collecting petitions Last week I stood outside of my local library collecting signatures to save libraries in Oakland. The American Library Association has created a Save Libraries in Your State page on their website just to help communities take action. We're not the only city facing cuts.

Library 96
article thumbnail

Community Voice: Essential Elements and Excellent Practices

NTEN

What are excellent practices and what questions are good to ask when you want to create a thriving community while maintaining your organizational effectiveness? Having a conversation with your community of stakeholders is an essential activity for nonprofits. Two Community Stories. LikeMinded. Momentum was being lost.

Voice 75
article thumbnail

Determined to Trend - Guest Post by James Leventhal

Beth's Blog: How Nonprofits Can Use Social Media

Local Oakland Tweeter @trafficologist Standing Beside Her Profile Pic in the Twitterstream. When the New de Young opened it did a 32-hour party and community celebration , starting a trend that was then picked up by the Contemporary Jewish Museum with Dawn in 2008 and now the Oakland Museum of California (OMCA).

Trend 91
article thumbnail

Fighting for Civic Transparency with Technology in the Western Balkans

Tech Soup

Community Boost_r , an initiative from Fundacja TechSoup. Through technology, data, and resource-sharing, Community Boost_r seeks to empower Balkan citizens to voice their opinions, demand solutions to everyday problems, and stay informed on accountability and transparency issues. How can people fight back? Through technology!

Serbia 52
article thumbnail

iPads for Emergencies

Beth's Blog: How Nonprofits Can Use Social Media

CARD is a nonprofit agency, based in Oakland California. The agency was created by local nonprofit agencies to address the preparedness and response needs of service providers — whose consumers are among the most vulnerable people in any community. iPads will also help CARD be a more efficient and connected non-profit.

Disaster 106