article thumbnail

Are Associations Losing Their Members’ Trust?—The Leadership ColLAB Explores This Critical Question

.orgSource

Is it possible that your community has doubts about the organization’s credibility? We structured this conference based on feedback from.orgCommunity’s fall Solutions Day participants. It is still possible to create that community, but on a smaller scale. The event was what the association community does best.

article thumbnail

An Evolution of Evaluation in Grantmaking With a Participatory Lens

sgEngage

The data collected is usually owned by the grantmaker, not questioned, and not shared back with the grantee or any larger community. For issues with this, check out Vu Le’s 2015 post “ Weaponized data: How the obsession with data has been hurting marginalized communities.” Consider: Who defines objectives and “success”?

professionals

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Trending Sources

article thumbnail

Five Lessons for Creating an Effective (and Accountable) Nonprofit Board

Blue Avocado

It is my hope that you will be able to implement these lessons to increase the efficacy of your own board, furthering its ability to serve your organization as well as your communities. This proved to be a wonderful way to share nationally AbilityFirst’s empowerment philosophy. After five years, we finally balanced the budget.

Lesson 100
article thumbnail

Strengthening program evaluation in your nonprofit

ASU Lodestar Center

As nonprofits attempt to tackle some of our communities' most difficult problems; funders, government agencies and the general public are actively calling for accountability, transparency and proof that a program is producing change. Does the environment support change, accountability, and communication? Illustration by Jocelyn Ruiz.

article thumbnail

The ongoing revolution in philanthropy: An open-ended reading list

Deborah Elizabeth Finn

Empowering Communities: Participatory Grantmakers Say We Must Go beyond Feedback. Tools: Reflective structured dialogue. Community-based participatory research. Community engagement governance. Here are 6 ways it could go. No Time for Complacency: Preparing Foundations for a More Turbulent Future.

article thumbnail

Rethinking Community Advisory Boards: the Story of C3

Museum 2.0

What''s the best way to get formal input from diverse community members? I''ve mostly seen museums employ one of two methods for formal community advisors: Create special "spots" on the board of trustees for certain kinds of community representatives. PRO: gets diverse community members in positions of real authority.

article thumbnail

Building Community: Who / How / Why

Museum 2.0

We invited community members in, to be active contributors, collaborators, and co-creators in our museum space. They talked about community building. I don’t think there is a way to directly build community. I don’t think there is a way to directly build community. WHO (slides 3-23) "Community” is not an abstraction.

Build 20