Remove Activities Remove Community Remove Museum Remove Participatory
article thumbnail

New Approach, Historic Mission: Remaking a Factory Museum via Community Co-Production

Museum 2.0

But not enough people care about it anymore, and the museum is fading into disrepair. Yesterday, I learned about the Silk Mill, a British historic site that is going through a dramatic community-driven reinvention. The Silk Mill is part of the Derby Museums , a public institution of art, history, and natural history.

Museum 53
article thumbnail

Guest Post: Community and Civic Engagement in Museum Programs

Museum 2.0

Since then, Stacey has become an indispensable member of our staff, leading our community programs and inspiring us to think in new ways about how we can build social capital in our community. Visitors bond and bridge through participatory experiences at MAH. You can download and read the full version of my thesis here.

Museum 49
professionals

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Making Museum Tours Participatory: A Model from the Wing Luke Asian Museum

Museum 2.0

Last week, I visited the Wing Luke Asian Museum in Seattle. I've long admired this museum for its all-encompassing commitment to community co-creation , and the visit was a kind of pilgrimage to their new site (opened in 2008). I'm always a bit nervous when I visit a museum I love from afar. I avoid them.

Museum 51
article thumbnail

Great Participatory Processes are Open, Discoverable, and Unequal

Museum 2.0

A few years and a few hundred open mics into that experience, it became obvious that some venues fostered amazing poetry communities, others, not so much. The whole experience welcomed newcomers while helping them understand what "value" constituted in that community. This is an issue we are actively grappling with at our museum.

article thumbnail

Put Down the Clipboard:Visitor Feedback as Participatory Activity

Museum 2.0

A few weeks ago, the MAH Director of Community Programs, Stacey Garcia, came to me with an idea. Stacey has been collaborating with local artists to produce a series of content-rich events that invite visitors to participate in a range of hands-on activities. Maybe this is good fodder for a future Museum 2.0 you tell me.

article thumbnail

Four Models for Active User Engagement, by Nina Simon

Beth's Blog: How Nonprofits Can Use Social Media

Nina has written a fantastic book engagement called The Participatory Museum. A third argues that the project won’t be truly participatory unless users get to define what content is sought in the first place. Rick wanted a better way to describe what kinds of projects led to different community outcomes.

Model 98
article thumbnail

Opening Up Museums: My TEDxSantaCruz Talk

Museum 2.0

It gave me a chance to really think about how we have been opening up our museum and what it means for our community. Museums can be incredible catalysts for social change. We're doing it in Santa Cruz and it has absolutely transformed our museum into a thriving community institution. But they're not there yet.

Museum 55