article thumbnail

Open Source vs. Proprietary: Nonprofit CRM

Zen and the Art of Nonprofit Technology

Because of this, the deck has always been stacked against open source tools in this arena. Both NTEN and Idealware are the best sources for information about the range of options for this toolset – that’s out of scope for this post. It’s got a great community of developers and users.

article thumbnail

Open Source Feminism: An Intervention with Wikipedia

NTEN

The internet is powered by open source technology—exciting software that's built collaboratively from the bottom-up. Open source is meant to be free and equal, but then why do men continue to dominate open source sites like Wikipedia? Sarah Mirk. Online Editor. B h Magazine.

professionals

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Reflections on 14NTC: Technology Experimentation and the Ad Hoc Open Source Society

NTEN

In the true spirit of collaboration, NTC attendees collectively stewarded an ad hoc open source society. Craig Sinclair reflects on his experience, why he supports the open source movement, and shares examples of open venues for experimentation. Digital Media Manager. Manhattan Neighborhood Network.

article thumbnail

SaaS vs. Open Source

Home About Me Subscribe Zen and the Art of Nonprofit Technology Thoughtful and sometimes snarky perspectives on nonprofit technology SaaS vs. Open Source September 24, 2008 I just finished writing a post for the Idealware blog about choosing SaaS vs. Open source. From my perspective, the key is openness.

article thumbnail

Thoughts on the Future of Open Source and Nonprofits

NTEN

Based on my informal assessment of attitudes and interest in the NTEN community about open source software, I think there's a significant and growing number of folks and organizations who are either interested in, already using, or even evangelizing open source solutions. By Dave Greenberg, CiviCRM Team.

article thumbnail

Apply for the 2022 Pizzigati Prize

NTEN

Join NTEN in celebrating and spotlighting open source projects for the social good with the next Pizzigati Prize! As we announced earlier this year, NTEN is thrilled to steward for the Pizzigati Prize , an annual award honoring the life and legacy of Tony Pizzigati, an early advocate of open source computing.

article thumbnail

Free and Open Source tool #14: SugarCRM

Home About Me Subscribe Zen and the Art of Nonprofit Technology Thoughtful and sometimes snarky perspectives on nonprofit technology Free and Open Source tool #14: SugarCRM March 27, 2008 Since I’ve been covering CRMs for the webinar today, I figured I’d switch categories on my free and open source software list.