article thumbnail

Giving Trends in Kenya: How the Growth of Mobile Payments Are Transforming Community Giving

Nonprofit Tech for Good

According to the International Center for Not-for-Profit Law , there are 6,500+ NGOs registered with the NGOs Coordination Board in Kenya. Traditionally, NGOs in Kenya have depended on outside support from grant makers and wealthy individuals. Finally, M-Changa seeks to build trust from both local and international donors.

Kenya 197
article thumbnail

Getting Social with Your Local Nonprofit Tech Community

Tech Soup

That's why each month NetSquared organizers in 60 cities across the globe host networking events for the nonprofit tech community. Check out the [blog]([link] to get a taste of our grassroots community. * **Katharine Bierce** recorded her recent [tech and philanthropy panel]([link]. Busia, Kenya: Stop Cyberbullying Day SCD 2016.

professionals

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

My Triple Ripple of Kindness: Helping Women in San Jose and Kenya

Beth's Blog: How Nonprofits Can Use Social Media

The inspiration for this program came from a random act of kindness at a Trader Joe’s last year that leveraged $24,000 donation to a local food bank. I used my $100 check to purchase beautiful ceramic beaded necklaces from Kazuri in Kenya. My random act of kindness was to support women in San Jose by supporting women in Kenya.

article thumbnail

Your Local Tech4Good Club Is Ready to Help

Tech Soup

Diversity — how to make sure the organizing team, presenters, attendees, and content are inclusive and reflective of the community. So don't be nervous — we're ready to create amazing tech training and networking events in your community! Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso: Monthly Meeting of Local Members.

Local 48
article thumbnail

New Ideas at TED2014

Beneblog: Technology Meets Society

Idea Two: Disrupting the Prevention of Blindness in Rural Communities Andrew Bastawrous is an ophthalmologist and TED Fellow. He now lives in rural Kenya working on eye care. Andrew’s focus is on curing blindness: 80% of the people he sees in rural Kenya can have their blindness reversed. What can we do for them?

Ideas 223
article thumbnail

Learn from the Pros at a NetSquared Community Event

Tech Soup

Your local NetSquared group is here to help with free, in-person events being held across the U.S. If you're holding monthly events gathering the #nptech community, let me know , and I’ll include you in the next community calendar, or apply today to start your own NetSquared group. Feeling overwhelmed? and the globe.

article thumbnail

Your #nptech Community Events Calendar for July

Tech Soup

Have you ever thought about hosting nonprofit technology events in your community? Not only will you be contributing your skills to local nonprofits, but you’ll also be building your reputation and connecting with your tribe. Busia, Kenya: Hackathon: -New Technologies and young talents-Kenya. Tuesday, July 1, 2014.