Remove Alternative Remove Community Remove Museum Remove Participatory
article thumbnail

Guest Post: Community and Civic Engagement in Museum Programs

Museum 2.0

Since then, Stacey has become an indispensable member of our staff, leading our community programs and inspiring us to think in new ways about how we can build social capital in our community. Visitors bond and bridge through participatory experiences at MAH. You can download and read the full version of my thesis here.

Museum 49
article thumbnail

A Decade of Museums and Museum Work

Museum 2.0

I love alternative history novels. I was thinking I’d do a few alternative histories of museums for the first post of the last month of the decade. As I imagined a world without the many museum tech projects of the decade, I felt inherently sad about the imagining away the successes that friends and colleagues have enjoying.

Museum 21
professionals

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Blueprint Book Club Part 1: How Do You Create a Future-Thinking History Museum?

Museum 2.0

Imagine you've just been tasked with developing an innovative, future-thinking national museum for your country's history. Blueprint is the story of a group of people who tried to create a Dutch Museum of National History (INNL). The Museum directors released Blueprint as a showcase for these plans. Where would you start?

Museum 36
article thumbnail

The Johnny Cash Project: A Participatory Music Video That Sings

Museum 2.0

This question is a byproduct of the reality that most participatory projects have poorly articulated value. If you don't have a sense of an outcome--whether that be internal research, community conversation, or something else--you can't decide how or whether contributions should be documented or archived.

article thumbnail

Against Participation

Museum 2.0

I assumed the event would fly in the face of my deep value for community participation. I'd always assumed that more representation is better than less representation, more press is better than less press, more sharing and engaging is better than the alternative. I walked into Against Participation with my hackles up.

article thumbnail

Please Help Make My Book Incredible

Museum 2.0

Dear Museum 2.0 readers, I'm almost done with the first draft of The Participatory Museum: A Practical Guide , a book that explores the theory, practice, and design techniques for involving visitors and community members in the creation and sharing of cultural content. Tags: participatory museum.

Help 28
article thumbnail

The Art of Gathering: A Fabulous Book to Help You Host Better Meetings and Events

Museum 2.0

The museum was in huge financial trouble. but I felt like I didn't have any alternative formats to draw on. My expertise was on inviting strangers to participate in public settings like museums. Whether you dream of better meetings or you're planning a community festival, I urge you to read this book.

Hosting 31