article thumbnail

May Cause Awareness: Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Qgiv

This is a month dedicated to celebrating the Asian American and Pacific Islander communities and their many contributions and achievements throughout history. Learn more about the origins of the heritage month, ways you can celebrate in your own life, and nonprofits you can support to make a difference in AAPI communities.

article thumbnail

Our Museum: Extraordinary Resources on How Museums and Galleries Become Participatory Places

Museum 2.0

They wanted to help museums and galleries across the UK make significant, sustained changes in the ways they engage community partners and visitors as participants in their work. The result, Our Museum , is an extraordinary funding program with a focus on community participation. didn't mince words.

Museum 20
professionals

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Trending Sources

article thumbnail

Rethinking Community Advisory Boards: the Story of C3

Museum 2.0

What''s the best way to get formal input from diverse community members? I''ve mostly seen museums employ one of two methods for formal community advisors: Create special "spots" on the board of trustees for certain kinds of community representatives. PRO: gets diverse community members in positions of real authority.

article thumbnail

The Participatory Museum, Five Years Later

Museum 2.0

This week marks five years since the book The Participatory Museum was first released. Across the museum field, the questions about visitor participation have gone from "what?" If participation was my mantra from 2007-2011, community has been my mantra since then. Build community. and "why?" to "how?".

article thumbnail

Building Community: Who / How / Why

Museum 2.0

These are the slides and notes for the talk I gave at the American Alliance of Museums conference on Monday, April 27 about the Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History. When I became the director of the Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History four years ago, I took this work with me. They talked about community building.

Build 20
article thumbnail

Teenagers, Space-Makers, and Scaling Up to Change the World

Museum 2.0

This week, my colleague Emily Hope Dobkin has a beautiful guest post on the Incluseum blog about the Subjects to Change teen program that Emily runs at the Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History. Subjects to Change is an unusual museum program in that it explicitly focuses on empowering teens as community leaders.

Teen 45
article thumbnail

Upcoming Webinar: Creating a Culture of Storytelling

Tech Soup

Stories are the currency of community. Enter empowerment and encouragement. Image: The Children's Museum of Indianapolis. They shape our experience. They drive us to think, act, and change. What is needed is space to create. Our guests will speak to the importance of creating a culture. organization.