article thumbnail

SaaS vs. Open Source

Zen and the Art of Nonprofit Technology

Home About Me Subscribe Zen and the Art of Nonprofit Technology Thoughtful and sometimes snarky perspectives on nonprofit technology SaaS vs. Open Source September 24, 2008 I just finished writing a post for the Idealware blog about choosing SaaS vs. Open source. From my perspective, the key is openness.

article thumbnail

Gender, Race and Open Source

Home About Me Subscribe Zen and the Art of Nonprofit Technology Thoughtful and sometimes snarky perspectives on nonprofit technology Gender, Race and Open Source June 29, 2007 My session on Free and Open Source software and the US Social Forum went great yesterday.

professionals

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

eCommerce #1: Options

Nonprofits don’t use e-commerce much, but I’ve had some experience (on both sides of the profit fence) doing e-commerce, and for some reason, shopping carts are intriguing me at the moment, and I figure its a good time to know what’s out there, especially in the open source shopping cart world. This is a big plus.

article thumbnail

Drupal security, and other CMS Report comments

You might think that comparing four different open source packages that, in essence, do pretty the same thing (in a broad sense) would be a cakc walk. The report isn’t about security, it’s a very, very broad comparison of the systems, with security as a very small component. More on that in a bit.

Drupal 150
article thumbnail

WordPress vs. Drupal … fight!

I figured that with the release of Drupal 7, this would be a great time to do a comparison of the two. Drupal started out primarily as a web content development platform, with a strength in community features. Community Blogs. Community blogs with many authors and identified, authenticated users.

Drupal 269
article thumbnail

New CMS Guide Available: Low Cost CMS Review from Idealware

NTEN

In addition to the detailed review of 11 systems -- including both proprietary and open source -- the report provides some helpful overview for approaching the CMS evaluation process in general, as well as some recommendations for making your selection process more focused and effective.

Review 72
article thumbnail

Open Source vs. Proprietary: CMS

Content Management Systems are an essential part of the communications function of nonprofit organizations. There are a myriad of options, open source options are among the most popular, possibly the most popular. And there are open source options that can do much of the same work for much less money.