article thumbnail

Nurturing Inner City Entrepreneurs: Jose Corona of Inner City Advisors

Have Fun - Do Good

." -- Jose Corona, Inner City Advisors Jose Corona is the Executive Director of Inner City Advisors , a nonprofit that helps build sustainable and responsible inner city businesses that create quality jobs, reinvest in the community, and contribute to the local economy. I'm going to be great here in Oakland. I'm going to be green.

Oakland 61
article thumbnail

Community Funded Reporting: Interview with David Cohn of Spot.us

Have Fun - Do Good

"You cannot run a community if you're not informed. Journalism is really the act of informing communities so that they can make better decisions, that is part of the public service, informing communities so that together we can know where else we need to help." --David Cohn, Founder, Spot.us Britt Bravo: Why is this necessary?

professionals

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Bringing Women a Global Voice: Jensine Larsen, World Pulse

Have Fun - Do Good

It's a very creative town, very community oriented, and the energy there is very supportive. There's a need, the women are responding, and our community is doubling over the last year, so we really are at a point of expansion and scaling. We have such a large community, our network is over 40,000, who is depending on us.

Voice 69
article thumbnail

Solutionary Women: Nola Brantley of the Scotlan Youth and Family Center

Have Fun - Do Good

Nola is as old as the Center she works for, thirty, and over the past two years, she has become an expert on sexually exploited minors in Oakland and has watched as the population grows. When I asked her why teenage prostitution is so prevalent in Oakland, she said, "Because they can do it here. It can't happen fast enough."

Oakland 40
article thumbnail

AAM 2010 Recap: Slides, Surprises, and a Banjo

Museum 2.0

Kathleen showed lots of participatory elements in the redesigned Oakland Museum of California. In the case of the Children's Discovery Museum, for example, one of the disconnects with the Vietnamese community came from a fundamental difference in how the staff and Vietnamese parents saw competition.

Slides 22
article thumbnail

Favianna Rodriguez: Political Digital Artist and Printmaker

Have Fun - Do Good

--Favianna Rodriguez Below is the edited transcript of a Big Vision Podcast interview from November 13, 2008 with Favianna Rodriguez, a political digital artist and printmaker based in Oakland, California. I do works on paper so that I can distribute them to schools and community centers, and just post them up in the street.

Artist 40
article thumbnail

Solutionary Women: Alli Chagi-Starr, Ilyse Hogue, Melinda Kramer and Reem Rahim

Have Fun - Do Good

That there was this notion that the dance community is inherently political, and I thought well, not really. It's based, not just on art and politics, it's also about personal transformation and community. And as Britt said, I also am the Art and Media Director at the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights , which is based out of Oakland.

Podcast 40