article thumbnail

SaaS vs. Open Source

Zen and the Art of Nonprofit Technology

Home About Me Subscribe Zen and the Art of Nonprofit Technology Thoughtful and sometimes snarky perspectives on nonprofit technology SaaS vs. Open Source September 24, 2008 I just finished writing a post for the Idealware blog about choosing SaaS vs. Open source. From my perspective, the key is openness.

article thumbnail

Social Actions API, Semantic Web, and Linked Open Data: An Interview with Peter Deitz

Amy Sample Ward

I wrote a blog post called, Mashups, Open APIs, and the Future of Collaboration in the Nonprofit Tech Sector. The updates introduce Semantic Analysis and Natural Language Processing (NLP) capabilities to the Social Actions API and begin to connect Social Actions to the wider Linked Open Data community.

API 186
professionals

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Win Up To $15,000 in Sunlight Labs Mashup Challenge

NTEN

" Duh: the NTEN community! They encourage you to use Sunlight's code libraries , which the Labs recently open sourced. Tags: contest NPTech nonprofit technology community buzz APIs. You can find more information at [link]. Don't worry if you're not a coder geek. Check the Labs' wiki for ideas.

Mashup 36
article thumbnail

Interview: John Brennan of OpenAction

Amy Sample Ward

I remember leaving for Vegas and making a promise to Joe that I would submit a mashup to the 2009 Change the Web Challenge. The mashup was a map showing where people were volunteering in near-real-time. The community showed me a need for what I built, so I used this momentum as an opportunity to take what I built to the next level.

Interview 123
article thumbnail

Social Actions API, Semantic Web, and Linked Open Data: An Interview with Peter Deitz

Tech Soup

Peter Deitz is a long-time member and contributor in the NetSquared (and TechSoup) community; he started the NetSquared Montreal group and his Social Actions project was a winner in the 2008 N2Y3 Mashup Challenge. This post originally appeared on the NetSquared Blog and was authored by Amy Sample Ward.

API 58
article thumbnail

NTEN Member Buzz Round-Up: Valentine's Day Edition

NTEN

While we're handing out congrats, nice work, EchoDitto , on the new open source Mother Jones website. I'd like to close by pointing you all to this Valentine's Day appropriate post by Eric Johnson of the Case Foundation : " How to Date a Mashup Programmer " Tags: NPTech nonprofit technology community buzz NTEN nten members.

NTEN 36
article thumbnail

Ushahidi Develops Innovative Tools for Nonprofits and Others Working to Benefit the Public

Tech Soup

Ushahidi has been developing open-source crisis mapping software for over eight years now. Surveyor is for teams collecting multiple data types from many sources. We got to know Ushahidi's work when it entered our legendary third NetSquared Mashup Challenge in Santa Clara, California in May of 2008.

Benefit 36