article thumbnail

Open Source Feminism: An Intervention with Wikipedia

NTEN

B h Magazine. Open source is meant to be free and equal, but then why do men continue to dominate open source sites like Wikipedia? In February 2014, groups of artists and tech-savvy folks staged what called they called a “feminist intervention” to Wikipedia. Sarah Mirk. Online Editor.

article thumbnail

Wade Roush suggests some continuous computing tools that ought to benefit npos

Beth's Blog: How Nonprofits Can Use Social Media

In the comments of a I post I did on continuous computing where I referenced the continuous computing blog and the possiblities for nonprofits, Wade Roush, a senior editor and West Coast bureau chief for MIT's Technology Review magazine suggested some additional tools. (He I hope to post an interview with SJ soon.) Check out Wikicities.

Benefit 50
professionals

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Live Blogging ONG Web 2.0 Conference in Romania sponsored by the Soros Foundation in Bucharest

He covered the following platforms: Blogs: It is more than a web site, built by one person or a small community or group of bloggers. He told the story of the founding of wikipedia and the meaning of the Hawaiin word - quickly, quickly. He talked about the growth of wikipedia. components, including a blog community.

Romania 50
article thumbnail

4 Tips for Beating Bailout Election Malaise: Give, Laugh, Appreciate, and Look for the Open Door

Have Fun - Do Good

by John Tierney, a recent study published in Science magazine found that, "spending money on others promotes happiness more than spending money on oneself.” A fun way to give, and be part of a larger community, is to join the 29-Day Giving Challenge. According to a March 2008 New York Times article, Yes, Money Can Buy Happiness.

Open 41
article thumbnail

How to Get Your Nonprofit’s Story in the News

Get Fully Funded

Even though there aren’t as many people today reading actual newspapers or watching the 6 o’clock news these days, your local media still reaches a large audience of people in your community who need to know about your nonprofit’s work. Emphasize what you will do with the gift and how it will impact the community.

Story 122
article thumbnail

NpTech Tag Summary: Free Ranger Rick, Green Geekery, and Blog Day is Next Week!

Here's a nice collection of links from the NTEN blog with good footnotes that includes a pointer to the ChicagoTechnology Cooperative , a group comprised of consultants, technicians, developers, and designers, with extensive experience serving the unique needs of nonprofit and community-based organizations. Are there others? Using Web2.0

Summary 50
article thumbnail

Office clean-up Part 1 :Open-Source and the GPL

Michael Stein's Non-profit Technology Blog

And what happened is I ended up sitting on the floor all day, reading through the piles magazines that have come in over the last few months and just stacked up. I know a lot of people in the in the non-profit community think of Open-Source software as "free", as not requiring a license agreement. You can find it online here.