article thumbnail

A Hearty Congratulations to TechSoup Members Winning Google Impact Challenge Awards

Tech Soup

A panel of community advisors reviewed the submissions, and chose 25 finalists – all of whom won significant grants. Bring Me a Book is creating a "literacy ecosystem" via social media in Alameda and Santa Clara Counties. It is also developing a scalable model and toolkit for other communities to do the same work.

article thumbnail

Win a copy of Being the Difference: True Stories of Ordinary People Doing Extraordinary Things to Change the World

Have Fun - Do Good

In 2006, USA Today named him one of the Top 20 College Academic All-Stars, and the Governor of Florida awarded Darius with a Points of Light Award for his community service. a nonprofit organization that promotes youth literacy. While in Florida, Darius created Books All Around, Inc. ,

Florida 40
professionals

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

13 Causes I'd Give to If Friday the 13th Was My Lucky Day

Have Fun - Do Good

Genocide Intervention Network Mission: "The Genocide Intervention Network empowers individuals and communities with the tools to prevent and stop genocide." People's Grocery Mission: "Our mission is to build a local food system that improves the health and economy of the West Oakland community." Enough's blog, Enough Said.

Causes 40
article thumbnail

Ask Britt: How to make a second hand bookstore a positive force for good

Have Fun - Do Good

Be a community gathering space. If the space allows, be a low-cost gathering space for your community to have meetings, readings, exhibit art, post events, etc. For example, we have a small store in Oakland called Issues that sells international newspapers and magazines. Donate to your community.

article thumbnail

5 Things Oakland Taught Me about Civic Hacking

Tech Soup

What happens when community members, technologists, city officials, and librarians join forces at City Hall to talk about how to improve their community? I was lucky enough to attend CityCamp Oakland earlier this month to see this collaboration in action. How to Create Solutions with Community Members, Not for Them.

Oakland 36
article thumbnail

Solutionary Women: Mei-ying Ho

Have Fun - Do Good

SOUL is a training center based here in Oakland. We just recently moved to downtown Oakland, and we talk about ourselves as a school to build a movement. And in terms of how I got involved with SOUL, I was actually teaching for a very brief period in the Oakland middle schools. So I’m only 26.

article thumbnail

Empowering Women Citizen Journalists: An Interview with Cristi Hegranes

Have Fun - Do Good

She went from being somebody's servant to somebody who when she walks down the street of her community, people stop her and shake her hand and thank her for the stories that she is telling, or ask, 'When are you going to interview me? "Now, 18 months later, all of Juana's children are in school. I have a story that you have to hear.'"