article thumbnail

Reflections and Notes from Personal Democracy Forum 2013

Beth's Blog: How Nonprofits Can Use Social Media

I try to sprinkle these 50% events throughout the year – a lecture here, a webinar there – to make sure I’m broadening my perspective and getting a few sideways ideas. And because of that, I learned about communities crowdfunding their parks and recycling programs. That’s how I ended up at PdF. Also, there’s mild profanity.

article thumbnail

The Ultimate Guide to Volunteer Recruitment: 15+ Strategies

Qgiv

Volunteers help nonprofits connect with the community. There are likely a number of interested parties in your community that want to make the world a better place. For example, you’ll need far fewer volunteers at a small lecture event than you will at a community-wide dance-a-thon.

professionals

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Reflections on Extension 2.0 Webinar

Beth's Blog: How Nonprofits Can Use Social Media

Arts Wire was patterned after the Well and was designed as an online conversation community for artists and arts organizations. The Webinar format which lends itself to lecture is out of my preference zone. I did my first presentation about the Internet when I started working with Arts Wire in 1993. 09 was the first version I used).

article thumbnail

Using Social Bridging to Be "For Everyone" in a New Way

Museum 2.0

Like a lot of organizations, my museum struggles with two conflicting goals: The museum should be for everyone in our community. We''re more successful when we target particular communities or audiences and design experiences for them. It''s impossible for any organization or business to do a great job being for everyone. Why fight it?

Museum 55
article thumbnail

Using data to make transgender people visible

Candid

About seven years ago, I attended a lecture by American actress and transgender advocate, Laverne Cox. She shared stories about her life and recommendations for how to support transgender communities. Among transgender leaders, 75% identify as part of the LGBTQIA+ community.

People 98
article thumbnail

Self-Censorship for Museum Professionals

Museum 2.0

Experimental trails on humans Historical antecedents to modern day “hot button” topics Lecture series Population growth (down arrow) What technology is developed reflects the political structure of a society and its values An exhibit of a plastinated cow or pig as part of a larger Children’s museum exhibition on agriculture.

Museum 20