article thumbnail

Guest Post: Community and Civic Engagement in Museum Programs

Museum 2.0

Since then, Stacey has become an indispensable member of our staff, leading our community programs and inspiring us to think in new ways about how we can build social capital in our community. Visitors bond and bridge through participatory experiences at MAH. You can download and read the full version of my thesis here.

Museum 49
article thumbnail

Which New Audiences? A Great Washington Post Article and its Implications about Age, Income, and Race

Museum 2.0

The whole second half of the article was dedicated to our work: Smaller museums can be especially scrappy in finding ways to connect with the community. We changed our museum by reorienting on our community and really saying we exist to be of, by and for you, and to help build a stronger community.” The impact was dramatic.

professionals

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

From Community Arts To Community of Online Learners: Janet Salmons, Ph.D

Beth's Blog: How Nonprofits Can Use Social Media

I started in the Cornell University Center for Theatre Arts , where I founded and directed two programs: Cornell Theatre Outreach and the Community-Based Arts Project. From Cornell I went to the intergenerational, national nonprofit called Magic Me. A premise for this work is that we need to be better at working collaboratively???whether

Arts 50
article thumbnail

Building Community: Who / How / Why

Museum 2.0

We invited community members in, to be active contributors, collaborators, and co-creators in our museum space. They talked about community building. I don’t think there is a way to directly build community. I don’t think there is a way to directly build community. WHO (slides 3-23) "Community” is not an abstraction.

Build 20
article thumbnail

Four Ways to Transform Organizational Culture to Advance Access, Equity, and Justice

Saleforce Nonprofit

Before the global pandemic, intergenerational poverty and entrenched patterns of inequality dampened the future livelihoods of millions of children and their families across the globe. Strategies that advance equity and justice seek to address the full reality of communities rather than narrow solutions to solve social problems.