article thumbnail

Great reads from around the web on September 13th

Amy Sample Ward

The Desert of Community Building | Geoff Livingston's Blog – "One of the most crystallizing moments of my online career was when Ike Pigott said social media was an organic process. Most marketers and communicators fail to realize the imperative of engaging the Fifth Estate as a group of people just like them."

Web 111
article thumbnail

New on SSIR: Letting Technology Lead

Amy Sample Ward

A recent event has brought up some huge red flags for me around data, around communities, around social impact, inclusion and even more. It’s a case of letting technology lead (or, rather, the people behind the technology) instead of the communities on the other end. What it Means to Communities. Looking Ahead.

Myspace 158
professionals

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

New on SSIR: Letting Technology Lead

Amy Sample Ward

A recent event has brought up some huge red flags for me around data, around communities, around social impact, inclusion and even more. It’s a case of letting technology lead (or, rather, the people behind the technology) instead of the communities on the other end. What it Means to Communities. Looking Ahead.

Myspace 158
article thumbnail

Great reads from around the web on May 20th

Amy Sample Ward

"After running successful community websites in London's challenging Kings Cross I wanted to help other communities achieve the same sense of empowerment and communication. So i quit my job and set up Talk About Local to bring locally created and locally owned websites to communities across the country."

Web 100
article thumbnail

New on SSIR: Give Permission to Peer Influence

Amy Sample Ward

It comes at the same time that I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about the importance of community builders/managers/leaders or organizational voices to give permission back to the community members. Giving permission to the community to have conversations without you requires trust. Let’s discuss!

Influence 114
article thumbnail

Vote for the Best Social Change and Technology Projects at Netsquared!

Beth's Blog: How Nonprofits Can Use Social Media

CompuMentor has created a Technology Innovation Fund to provide direct cash support to projects selected by the NetSquared Community. It's really hard to narrow it down to 5-10 projects, but here's a sampling of the diversity of projects and causes represented. Community-Owned Telecenter Project in Malawi. Avatar Action Center.

article thumbnail

The 45 Social by Social Propositions

Amy Sample Ward

Empowerment is unconditional. Technology can solve information problems, organise communities and publish behaviours, but they can’t deliver food or care for the sick. You can’t know what your community wants from you without asking and they are waiting for you to ask. And you can’t influence the community if you aren’t in it.

Social 147