Remove Africa Remove Community Remove Literacy Remove Open Source
article thumbnail

CEO’s Update: Fall 2014

Beneblog: Technology Meets Society

My personal goal is to channel the aspirations of the technology community to do more social good. Within a short period, SocialCoding4Good has gone from a Labs pilot project to a growing community driving social impact. In this update, I’m delighted to be able to share Benetech’s latest efforts to do both. billion poor and unbanked.

article thumbnail

Doing the Right Stuff Right for Human Rights

Beneblog: Technology Meets Society

It wasn’t until 1993, when a reconstruction of these events by American journalist Mark Danner first appeared in The New Yorker , that the full story of the El Mozote massacre was brought to light and sent shock waves through the international community. To help you understand it better, let me pick it up where I left off, back in 1993.

Burma 168
professionals

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Building the Tech Capacity of Nonprofits Everywhere with TechSoup's NetSquared Events

Tech Soup

We believe that NGOs learn best from each other, so NetSquared provides a platform where we can come together face to face to share technology tips and create a community of practice around tech for good. That’s why we invited NetSquared organizers and ambassadors to participate in the TechSoup Africa and TechSoup Europe Summits.

article thumbnail

Citizen Tech: Social Media in Disaster Response

Amy Sample Ward

Problems were that many survivors had no internet access, let alone electrical power, let alone computers or even computer literacy. This proved to the Ushahidi team that their tool would be valuable to communities around the world. It eventually garnered 45,000 users who took advantage of the easy-to-access tool to place reports.

Disaster 206
article thumbnail

Why I’m Scared of the SOPA Bill by Jim Fruchterman

Beth's Blog: How Nonprofits Can Use Social Media

We develop free and open source software to help groups capture the stories of human rights abuse, and store and back them up securely in another country. We work in North Africa Latin America, Asia: most of the places where large scale human rights abuses are going on. Endangering Human Rights Activists. Wonderful stuff.

eBook 107