Remove Artist Remove Community Remove Facilitation Remove Participatory
article thumbnail

Celebrate, Educate, and Fundraise: Planning Winning AAPI Heritage Month Events

The Modern Nonprofit

But how do you ensure your events not only honor this rich heritage but also captivate and mobilize your community towards meaningful action? Well-planned events enable nonprofits, community groups, businesses and government agencies to showcase AAPI arts, food, performances, and more. Be sure to recruit knowledgeable facilitators.

article thumbnail

What I Learned from Beck (the rock star) about Participatory Arts

Museum 2.0

There are many artistic projects that offer a template for participation, whether a printed play, an orchestral score, or a visual artwork that involves an instructional set (from community murals to Sol LeWitt). Beck talks about this in the context of learning to play music as a young artist. Everything old is new again.

professionals

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Trending Sources

article thumbnail

Want to Co-Create an Exhibition on a Hot Issue? Introducing the Community Issue Exhibition Toolkit

Museum 2.0

We partnered with foster youth, former foster youth, artists, and community advocates to create an exhibition that used art to spark action on issues facing foster youth. This project wove together many different participatory threads. We co-created it from start to finish with community partners. What did we learn?

Issue 45
article thumbnail

The Participatory Museum, Five Years Later

Museum 2.0

This week marks five years since the book The Participatory Museum was first released. I thought the pinnacle of participatory practice was an exhibit that could inspire collective visitor action without facilitation. If participation was my mantra from 2007-2011, community has been my mantra since then. Build community.

article thumbnail

Making Museum Tours Participatory: A Model from the Wing Luke Asian Museum

Museum 2.0

I've long admired this museum for its all-encompassing commitment to community co-creation , and the visit was a kind of pilgrimage to their new site (opened in 2008). The institution is community-funded, staffed, and designed. a "wedding worthy" community hall). a "wedding worthy" community hall). 5'11", 6'1", etc.

Museum 51
article thumbnail

Ze Frank Takes Over (My) Museum

Museum 2.0

That's how I felt when artist Ze Frank got in touch to talk about a potential museum exhibition to explore a physical site/substantiation for his current online video project, A Show (s ee minute 2:20, above). He is an authoritative artist of the social web with a slew of accolades and a suite of diverse projects under his belt.

Museum 45
article thumbnail

Traveling Couches and other Emergent Surprises Courtesy of an Open Platform

Museum 2.0

How do community members make your institution better? Yes, we have the standard ways--volunteer programs, board service, and community partnerships--but I strongly believe that if we are doing our jobs right, every visitor who walks through our doors should be able to make a meaningful impact.