article thumbnail

A Radical, Simple Formula for Pop-Up Museums

Museum 2.0

Pop-Up Museum [n]: a short-term institution existing in a temporary space. Over the past few years, there have been several fabulous examples of pop-up museums focusing on visitor-generated content. Maria Mortati runs the wonderful SF Mobile Museum , which roams the Bay Area showing mini-exhibits on evocative themes.

Museum 55
article thumbnail

Upcoming Museum 2.0 Book Club: Blueprint

Museum 2.0

Once there was a project to design a national history museum in the Netherlands. While not wholly explored, that question reverberates throughout a new book, Blueprint , that shares the plans for the Dutch Museum of National History. I chose this book for our next Museum 2.0 What happened? It's about Europe.

Museum 34
professionals

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Blueprint Book Club Part 1: How Do You Create a Future-Thinking History Museum?

Museum 2.0

Imagine you've just been tasked with developing an innovative, future-thinking national museum for your country's history. Blueprint is the story of a group of people who tried to create a Dutch Museum of National History (INNL). The Museum directors released Blueprint as a showcase for these plans. Where would you start?

Museum 36
article thumbnail

Six Museum-Related Blogs You Might Not Know About That Are Really Good

Museum 2.0

I believe that the museum blogosphere is still underdeveloped and there's lots of room for people to share their inspiration, experience, and ideas. When anyone asks me who's doing great work blending online and onsite experiences in museums, I send them to Beck Tench at the Museum of Life and Science. The Museum of the Future.

Museum 46
article thumbnail

Guest Post by Jasper Visser: Storytelling for Social Cohesion at Story House Belvédère

Museum 2.0

I first read about Story House Belvédère on Jasper Visser’s excellent blog, The Museum of the Future. This small, startup cultural project in Rotterdam works directly and intimately with community members to share their stories. Story House Belvédère in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, is a magical place. But they were wrong.

article thumbnail

Launching the First Wave of the OF/BY/FOR ALL Change Network

Museum 2.0

Our goal is to help civic and cultural institutions become more representative OF, co-created BY, and welcoming FOR their diverse communities. We've see this model succeed at the MAH and at other community-centered organizations around the world. We see OF/BY/FOR ALL as an adaptable playbook for community change.

article thumbnail

Book Announcement: The Participatory Museum is now available!

Museum 2.0

As many of you know, I've been working for the past year+ on a book about visitor participation in museums, libraries, science centers, and art galleries. The Participatory Museum is a practical guide to visitor participation. The Participatory Museum is an attempt at providing such a resource. Want to buy a book ?