Picture This: TechSoup Digital Storytelling Challenge

Tech Soup Blog

Although most people tend to think of videos when they think of digital storytelling, the TechSoup Digital Storytelling Challenge (TSDigs), powered by Lights. The Able Volunteers International Fund (AVIF) captures of a slice of life in rural Kenya under natural outdoor lighting.

Mobile Storytelling: An Evolving Story

NTEN

Curtis Wong of Microsoft Research has a wonderful presentation of Microsoft’s World Wide Telescope project where the tool for presenting the universe around us sets a stage for storytelling by allowing researchers and students alike to create a narrative through the interface.

Growing the NetSquared Community

Tech Soup Blog

If you're holding monthly events gathering the #nptech community, let me know , and I'll include you in the next community calendar. Toronto, Ontario: Storytelling. Busia, Kenya: Safer Internet 2016 — 9th February 2016.

Go Around the Globe with #Storymakers2014

Tech Soup Blog

Are you ready to join a global, Storytelling conversation on Twitter at #Storymakers2014 spanning the globe from India, Libya, Kenya across Europe, Canada and the United States. Topic: AWESOME Digital Storytelling case studies. Kenya. Topic: Tools for Storytelling.

Your #NPtech Community Calendar for July

Tech Soup Blog

Have you ever thought about hosting nonprofit technology events in your community? If you're holding monthly events gathering the #nptech community, let me know , and I'll include you in the next community calendar, or apply today to start your own NetSquared group.

Tell Your Community's Story with NetSquared

Tech Soup Blog

Or if face-to-face is more your style, join your local NetSquared group — NetSquared groups are holding digital storytelling events all month. Kisumu, Kenya: Social Media Week. London, United Kingdom: Digital Storytelling. Busia, Kenya: Social Media Week Event.

Get Fundraising Tips at a NetSquared Community Event

Tech Soup Blog

So far we've scheduled events in Kenya and Uganda, and will be adding more cities throughout the fall. If you're holding monthly events gathering the #nptech community, let me know and I'll include you in the next community calendar.

Is There a Community of #Tech4Good Activists Waiting for You?

Tech Soup Blog

TechSoup's NetSquared community of Tech4Good meetups is growing! However, we aren't everywhere yet , so we're looking for community leaders to start new groups. As a NetSquared organizer, you will become known as someone who's a leader in the Tech4Good community.

NetSquared Community Events: Get Safer Online

Tech Soup Blog

If you’re holding monthly events gathering the nonprofit technology community, let me know , and I’ll include you in the next community calendar. Seattle, Washington: Storytelling Through Data Visualization. Internet Safety for Community Groups. Busia, Kenya.

Spring Is Here! Get Outside and Meet Your NPTech Community

Tech Soup Blog

We know that good stories power fundraising and marketing, so join one of our events to discover powerful case studies and connect with digital storytelling experts in your community. Columbus, Ohio: Nonprofit IT Forum: Digital Storytelling.

Become a Storymaker with NetSquared

Tech Soup Blog

Every month TechSoup’s NetSquared community organizers volunteer to bring free (or low cost) nonprofit technology events and workshops to over 50 cities. Starting on August 26th NetSquared organizers are holding digital storytelling events as part of the Storymakers campaign.

How to Turn Video Views Into Life-Saving Dollars

Beth's Blog: How Nonprofits Can Use Social Media

Note from Beth: On my way to Kenya for the Ushahidi Board meeting , so enjoy this post by Manny Hernandez. Manny Hernandez is a social entrepreneur, community strategist, president of the diabetes hands foundation , founder of tudiabetes and estudiabetes , author of ning for dummies.

Life 101

Join Our 24-Hour Round-the-World Twitter Chat

Tech Soup Blog

Since our last storytelling Twitter chat , both the opportunities and challenges in producing a great digital story have increased. As organizations begin wading into this cluttered storytelling landscape, and begin picking platforms, tools, and narratives, excitement can quickly evaporate.

Chile 61

Home Page Design for Nonprofits: Judging a Site by Its Cover

Tech Soup Blog

Hello digital storytellers! Your home page, your cover, is the most important page in your digital storytelling journey and getting it right can make the difference between success and failure.

Get Help in Telling the Story of Your Nonprofit's Impact

Tech Soup Blog

We know that good stories power fundraising and marketing, so join one of our free events to discover powerful case studies and connect with digital storytelling experts in your community. Orlando, Florida: Microsoft Gives Back: Community, Education, and Philanthropy.

30 Days of NetSquared Events

Tech Soup Blog

Net2Local organizers hold regular events connecting the nonprofit and technology communities. Busia, Kenya: NetSquared Kenya Monthly Meeting. Vancouver, Canada: Community Management Inside Out: Why culture matters. What has NetSquared got planned for the next month?

NetSquared Events for September: Featuring #Storymakers2014

Tech Soup Blog

TechSoup’s digital storytelling challenge is open between now and September 26, 2014. They are holding digital storytelling events all month! Join our global tweet chat on September 4 for the best examples of nonprofit storytelling. Naples, FL: Digital Storytelling Workshop. Melbourne, Australia: The Art of Storytelling: How to Get Your Story Straight. Toronto, Canada: Digital Storytelling. Portland, OR: Digital Storytelling 101.

Storymakers 2014 Interactive Events

Tech Soup Blog

That’s why TechSoup holds an annual digital storytelling campaign each year. Our global tweet-chat will be a series of one-hour conversations to be hosted by digital storytelling experts. We ARE storymakers.

Build Your Storymaking Skills with Free Events and Webinars

Tech Soup Blog

We know that good stories power fundraising and marketing, so join one of our events to discover powerful case studies and connect with digital storytelling experts in your community. Storymakers Community Events. Kisumu, Kenya: Storymakers 2016 — Kisumu. Kenya.

Building the Tech Capacity of Nonprofits Everywhere with TechSoup's NetSquared Events

Tech Soup Blog

We believe that NGOs learn best from each other, so NetSquared provides a platform where we can come together face to face to share technology tips and create a community of practice around tech for good. Morrisville, North Carolina: Nonprofit Storytelling: What You Need to Know.

Benin 62

Supercharge Your Nonprofit Tech Powers with NetSquared

Tech Soup Blog

If you're holding monthly events gathering the #nptech community, let me know , and I'll include you in the next community calendar, or apply today to start your own NetSquared group. Burlington, Vermont: Digital Storytelling Fundamentals.

Events Roundup: NetSquared Loves You this February

Tech Soup Blog

Our events are powered by a global network of volunteers dedicated to building strong, self-sufficient local communities of nonprofit technology practitioners. Vancouver, Canada: Community Management Inside Out: Why culture matters. Vancouver, Canada: Community Manager Forum.

Supporting Nonprofit Tech Educators Across the Globe

Tech Soup Blog

This remarkable cohort of 250 community builders are hosting monthly free workshops and networking events in more than 74 cities, and they're doing it entirely as volunteers. Every month, our global network of community organizers host Tech4Good events in more than 70 cities.

Benin 58

Storymakers 2016 Winners

Tech Soup Blog

This is an example of a community using video to capture the inspiration inherent in its nonprofit mission. This is storytelling at its most sophisticated as we see animations and voices come to life. The Storymakers 2016 campaign surpassed all of our expectations.

(Re)Introducing NetSquared

Tech Soup Blog

These live, in-person events are free or by donation and are the place to be if you want to network with your peers, prefer learning in an in-person environment, or are looking for ways to give back to your community.

Improve Your Fundraising Approach and Skills at NetSquared Meetups

Tech Soup Blog

With more than 75 events scheduled for October, there's probably an event scheduled for your community, so RSVP now for one of our meetups. Kampala, Uganda: Digital Storytelling for Nonprofits Workshop. Bath, United Kingdom: Tech for Good Community Mapping.

Join Us for Local and Virtual Events This Week With Social Media September

Tech Soup Blog

There are several ways for you to get involved in our social media for social good events no matter where you live, since our community is holding both live and virtual gatherings. Adelaide, Australia: Mixing online with offline - building communities that take action.

Your Local Tech4Good Club Is Ready to Help

Tech Soup Blog

Diversity — how to make sure the organizing team, presenters, attendees, and content are inclusive and reflective of the community. So don't be nervous — we're ready to create amazing tech training and networking events in your community!

Using Virtual Reality to Showcase Nonprofit Impact

Tech Soup Blog

Virtual Reality Is the Future of Storytelling. From this moment on, I truly felt an emotional connection to the foundation's work in Kenya and Tanzania and appreciated the reality of these everyday problems that are so often looked over in favor of more dramatic conflict.

Net2Local: Year-End Revelations

Tech Soup Blog

Net2Local, TechSoup Global’s grassroots #nptech community-building initiative has almost reached the end of 2013. ” Community Highlights. In the coming months Net2Local will also be participating in the Digital Storytelling Challenge and more social media surgeries.

I’m going to Rwanda

gokubi.com

He’s planning some really interesting efforts in Kenya later this year. I really enjoyed that work, and I hope to do similar work and storytelling around Salesforce.com in parts of the world where people assume the cloud can’t work. I was floored by the outcomes they are getting, and the thoughtful design of the community health program.

nfp 2.0 » What does Second Life success look like for non-profits?

Rebooting Charity

Mecca Ibrahim : I think Flickr is and always has been perfect for bringing communities together. 1) myspace (1) nspcc (2) oxfam (2) podcast (1) second life (5) social impact (6) social media (16) social networking (6) storytelling (6) tagging (3) web 2.0 (18)

Big Vision Podcast: Interview with llyse Hogue Rainforest Action Network

Have Fun - Do Good

And so I thought well, it seems like if we're going to actually change the human patterns that are so severely impacting our environment and communities around the world, maybe there are some other ways to do it. If you like the music, it is from Kenya Masala's "Mango Delight".

Using Photography to Change the World: An Interview with Paola Gianturco

Have Fun - Do Good

They were using music, dance, poetry, and storytelling, and they were succeeding. They write poems about their experiences, and when they recite them in community meetings, their neighbors are outraged, and mobilized immediately to action.