Presentation: Social Media & Philanthropy

This morning I had the great opportunity to present to the Next Generation Philanthropy course, a part of Institute for Philanthropy, here in London. It was a diverse set of participants and we probably could have talked all day had they not had a full day’s program to get through!

The talk:

My talk may not be as easily captured in the slides as some of my other talks are since this was a smaller group and I had the time to dive into each example and discuss it with the participants, instead of a more traditional presentation. The focus included both a look at what social media tools are being used to do in organizations now, how funders are using technology, and what opportunities exist for funders to support or lead on.

(Hint: click through to view the slides on SlideShare.net to see speaking notes.)

More resources:

Participants asked for a few resources during the discussion so I’ve included some links and pointers for them, and for you, below:

• How-to Set up an RSS Dashboard: this is a great way to position your organization as a resource and go-to for the sector or issue; but it is also one of the best ways to ensure you’re on top of information and conversations across the web (you can create a dashboard that’s private or public).
  • Social by Social: a handbook for using new technologies for social impact that I co-authored last year. You can read it for free online (or download the PDF) and it includes case studies, how-to tutorials, and lots of information about various tools that may be appropriate for your organization (after you’ve identified your goals, audience, and so on).
  • We Are Media: this wiki is another excellent source of information and examples of social media for social impact compiled by the nonprofit technology community.
  • How-to Create a Social Media Strategy:

Keep talking:

I’d love to continue the conversation with those that were there today, and everyone else. Let me know what you think!

13 thoughts on “Presentation: Social Media & Philanthropy

1. RT @amyrsward: Here are my slides and notes from this morning’s presentation Social Media & Philanthropy: Would love your thoughts! http …

2. @amyrsward Love the deck, Amy! I can’t figure out how to access your speaking notes on the Slideshare page. Can you point to the link?

1. Sounds like it would be a great presentation to see in person. Fascinating topic that is exploding beyond everyone’s imagination and with no real understanding of where it is heading and the potential. As the creator of @abolishcancer, we developed a twitter feed that has raised over $11,000 since November… just by tweeting. I think the sky is the limit when people use social media to connect and unite. Thanks for sharing- Darah

1. Hi Darah-

Thanks for joining in the conversation! I’d love to hear more about the example you mentioned of @abolishcancer’s success in raising funds via twitter. Would you up for an interview or guest post to talk more about your work with social media?

2. Hi Amy!

This is what struck me: I had no idea that the Knight Foundation was moving to this unique model for encouraging software to disseminate news all over the world!

Thanks so much for sharing this resource, I know it wasn’t the point of the presentation, but it was my favorite thing about it.

Peace,

Mazarine

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *